Engr. Prof. Dr.
Bhawani Shankar Chowdhry
Renowned Scientist and ICT expert, Engr. Prof. Dr. BS Chowdhry is Professor Emeritus and former Dean, Faculty of Electrical, Electronics, & Computer Engineering, Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro. He has varied experience in diversified fields such as Electronics, Telecommunication, Microprocessor Technology, Internet of Things, Telemedicine, Wireless sensor networks, etc. After completing his first degree in the Electronic engineering discipline in 1983, he did Ph.D. in the field of Microprocessor-Based Intelligent Instrumentation from the school of Electronics and Computer Science University of Southampton, the UK in 1990. He has varied experience in diversified fields such as Electronics, Telecommunication, Microprocessor Technology, Internet of Things, Telemedicine, Wireless sensor networks, etc.
Bachelor of Engineering in Electronic EngineeringMehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro, Pakistan
Masters of Engineering in Electronic EngineeringMehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro, Pakistan
Ph.D.University of Southampton, UK
Areas of Research Interest
- Wireless Sensor Networks
- Embedded systems
- Simulation & Modelling
- Internet Technologies
- Mobile Computing
- Telemedicine and eHealth
- Smart Civil Structures
- Conditioning Monitoring
- Body Area Network (BAN)
LecturerMehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro, Pakistan
Associate ProfessorMehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro, Pakistan
Full ProfessorMehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro, Pakistan
Director, Institute of Information and Communication TechnologiesMehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro, Pakistan
Meritorious Professor (BPS-22) and Dean, Faculty of Electrical, Electronics and Computer EngineeringMehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro, Pakistan
Professor EmeritusMehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro, Pakistan
Engr. Prof. Dr. Bhawani Shankar Chowdhry is a leading figure in Pakistan’s academia, with varied experience in teaching and research. He has an extensive professional career spanning more than four decades, having led the planning, improvement, and innovation initiatives in a wide variety of teams, organizations, and cultures in Pakistan and abroad. He is best known for mentoring, providing guidance, and helping fresh graduates in job acquisition over the last 36 years.
Having started his professional journey as a faculty member at MUET in 1983, he has since held numerous senior positions, which include Chairman of Department of Electronic Engineering, MUET, founding-Chairman of Telecommunication Engineering, and Biomedical Engineering Departments at MUET. In 2008, he was appointed as Director Institute of Information and Communication Technology. Later, he served as a Dean, Faculty of Electrical, Electronics, & Computer Engineering, MUET. Currently, he is working as a Professor Emeritus and Advisor at MUET, and actively serving national and international professional and scientific bodies in various capacities.
In 2017, Engr. Prof. Dr. Bhawani Shankar Chowdhry was bestowed with the title of Distinguished National Professor title by the HEC. In 2018, he was appointed as a Member of the Higher Education Commission by the Prime Minister of Pakistan. He has also been awarded the Pride of Performance Award, Best Teacher Award, National IT Excellence Award, UNESCO/IAEA Guest Science Award, Presidential Izaz-e-Fazeelat (Highest Academic Distinction Award), JCI Senator Award, and various other awards for his contributions.
- Coordinator EU Central Project, MUET Capacity Building in Field of Higher Education
- Member of Governing Body, Pakistan Engineering Council
- Chairman, IEEE Inc (USA) Karachi Section, Asia Pacific - Region 10
- Former Member Board of Trustees, Pakistan Science Foundation
- Lead Person - European Union, Erasmus Mundus Programs
- Co-Pi, National Center of Robotics and Automation, MUET
- Only known Meritorious Professor in BPS 22 who Received Presidential Highest Academic Distinction Award IZAZ–E–FAZEELAT for his contribution towards Engineering Education awarded by President of Pakistan.
- Only known Professor who has been awarded UNESCO Guest Scientist/Associateship of ICTP, Italy for Twelve (12) Years and European Union Erasmus Fellowship. Under these Fellowships, he delivered Keynote lectures in Italy, England, Ireland, USA, France, Germany, Malaysia, China, Singapore, Pakistan, Spain, Cyprus, Bahrain, UAE, Norway, Japan, and Switzerland.
- Only known Professor who is the editor of 1st ever book “Career Roadmap Guide for Engineers”. Hundreds of Engineers developed their careers using guidance written in this book.
- Only known Professor who has Introduced Erasmus Mundus Program in Pakistan “Mobility of Life” and then “STRoNG-TiES”, “EM-INTACT” and “EM-LEADERS”. Hundreds of Students, Graduates, and Staff availed themselves of fully-funded scholarships under these European Projects.
- Only known Professor whose several books have been published by Springer Germany, a world-known publisher which brought a good name for the country.
- Only known Professor who is the Guest Editor of Springer International Impact Factor Journal “Wireless Personnel Communication”.
- Only known Professor who as a “Chief Editor” of “IT Vision Magazine” published in three languages viz-a-viz Sindhi, Urdu, and English, launched by Dr. Atta-Ur-Rehman. The magazine became popular for imparting IT knowledge in Schools and Colleges.
- Only known Professor who has organized International Conferences in Pakistan and abroad like International Multi-Topic Conference (IMTIC), GCWOC16, GCWOC17, GCWOC18 in Spain, IEEE Pakistan Student/GOLD/WIE Congress (IEEE PSGWC), Institution of Electrical & Electronics Engineers Pakistan (IEEEP) student Seminars, IEEE Communications Society (IEEE COMSOC) Events which brought big name and fame for the university and country.
- Only known Professor who has been invited by the Technological Developed Countries like Italy, Denmark, Ireland, Malaysia to conduct Ph.D. Examination of the advanced areas of ICT.
- Authored/edited several Guides, handbooks in the field of Information and Communication Technologies (Received prestigious International NCR IT Excellence Award from Prime Minister for this contribution).
- Only known Professor who has been awarded Distinguished National Professor in Engineering and ICT.
- Only known Professor who has produced the highest number (15) Ph.D.’s in the area of ICT in Pakistan including 1st ever Ph.D. in ICT in the year 2002.
List of the various funded projects executed under the supervision of Prof. Dr. B.S. Chowdhry.
- 2018-2021, “Conditioning Monitoring Research Lab”, PKR 40 Million under the project Robotics and Automation, Funded by Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan.
- 2013-2015, “Design & Implementation of Intelligent Energy Efficient Industrial Process Control System using Conveyor Belts via Robotic Arm”, Funded by Pakistan Science Foundation, PKR1.3 Million.
- 2009-2011, “Challenges on FSO Wireless Broadband Network for HealthCare Monitoring and Disaster Recovery”, PKR 1.4 Million, Funded by Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan